It’s alllllll good with Pete the Cat chilling on your porch for fall. Book character pumpkins are my new favorite thing for fall decor and I can’t wait to make more! I made this one for a school library contest (2nd place!) and plan on having a family book character pumpkin painting night closer to Halloween. I’ll update this post when we are finished!
Supplies for Pete
Bright Pete Blue, Yellow, White Acrylic Paint, enough for 2-3 coats–depending on size of your pumpkin.
Cardboard, old metal hanger, and wire cutters for ears
Package of black pipe cleaners
1. Sketch on those cool-cat Pete eyes with a pencil. Trace with sharpie. Color in that middle, black part.
2. Repeat for nose.
3. I painted the blue next, but I suppose you could paint in the eyes and nose.
4. Repeat painting until you get colors and finish desired.
The ears are the hardest part….
5. Cut ears to fit the curve of you pumpkin to eliminate gaps. This took a few tries and a redo. Paint blue. Let dry.
6. My handy husband cut 4 pieces of an old, metal hanger with wire cutters to push down (tap in with hammer) through the corrugated cardboard into the pumpkin. If wire isn’t handy for you, try toothpicks. You may have to use an ice pick to make the hole first. Alternatively, you may be able to use craftsticks taped to the back of the ear, using a knife to make the hole first. Let us know what worked for you!
7. Ice pick in the holes for the whiskers.
Set on top of some bright, colored sneakers and other Pete accessories! Should you cry? Goodness no! Just keep on singing your pumpkin song. Don’t forget to reread all your favorite Pete the Cat books.
For more cool ideas for fall, check out this out fall blog hop…
From left to right:
Halloween Words // The Pleasantest Thing
Fall Leaves In and Out Activity // Still Playing School
Pumpkin Alphabet Puzzles // Modern Preschool
Sunflower Playdough Mats for the Numbers 1-10 // Life Over Cs
Fall Leaves Quiet Book // Teach My Mommy
Pumpkin Count and Clip Cards // Playdough to Plato
Apple Fine Motor Play // Adventures of Adam
Free Fall Themed Mazes // Powerful Mothering
Free Pumpkin Colors Booklet // Stay At Home Educator
Fall Nature I Spy Bottle // Mama. Papa. Bubba.
Fall Alphabet // Preschool Inspirations
Fine Motor Spider // Coffee Cups and Crayons
Pete the Cat Pumpkin // Think Magnet
Fall Interactive Book // Liz’s Early Learning Spot
Free Pumpkin Number Mats // The Kindergarten Connection
Fall Playdough Busy Bag // Frogs Snails and Puppy Dog Tails
Counting with Acorns // Play and Learn Everyday